A house fire is a serious threat that every homeowner must face. You should never assume that you are completely safe from it because it can strike when you least expect it. Fire can be a very serious risk even if your house has been designed specifically to counter it.
That is why as a homeowner you should be aware of the things that you can do on your end in order to prevent fire from taking place. Here are some ideas that you should keep in mind:
1. Fire prevention at home should start in the kitchen, because that is the part of the house where fires are used on a daily basis. Statistics show that the kitchen is the leading place in the house where fires are started and inside the kitchen stoves are the number one cause.
You should pay attention to whatever it is that you are cooking. If you must leave it unattended then turn off the heat on the stove so you can be sure that it does not cause any harm.
2. During the winter period, kitchen appliances take a second place to heating implements as the leading cause of house fires. Portable heaters can cause a lot of problems during those times.
The main thing to remember when using heaters is that it should be kept far enough from anything that might catch fire. It should be given a 3 feet clearance to ensure that it is not going to start a fire.
3. Are you smoker? If so, then you are at greater risk to have a house fire. Smokers who somehow forget about their cigars or cigarettes causes a great number of fires each year.
The solution for this problem is really very simple. You can just smoke outside your home so as not to cause fires when you somehow forget it. Even if you start smoking outside, there are certain things that you have to keep in mind, to make sure that you dispose of your cigarettes in the proper way.
4. Electrical wirings that have become outdated or faulty is another leading cause for fires at homes today. When the insulation for these become obsolete and outdated then they might become leading causes for combustion.
Fires caused by electrical problems are actually preventable. This is actually the reason why regular maintenance and inspection is required for all electrical wirings at home. It is also a must that standard wirings and equipment should be used in all electrical installations at home.
5. You might have the habit of lighting scented candles all around your house. You should be aware however that such a habit can lead to some serious problems because it can cause fire. House fires caused by candles can be prevented by making sure that they are placed in areas that will not catch fire.
These are a few of the leading reasons why fires happen at home and how you can prevent them. These steps are all simple and easy to remember. They ca n contribute to your home safety in no small way.